Vitamin C has long been known to have many health benefits. Some sources of vitamin C are kohlrabi, oranges, strawberries, mango, papayas, peaches, guava, kiwi, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kale and tomatoes.
Although you can gain vitamin C from taking supplements, getting the vitamin through your food gives you more benefits than taking supplements. Here are 7+ benefits of a diet rich in vitamin C.
1. Stroke. Having high levels of vitamin C helps reduce the risk of stroke and cardiac diseases, according to WebMD.
2. Gout. Gout attacks are caused by having too much uric acid in the blood. Healthline states that vitamin C helps reduce the amount of uric acid and can reduce the frequency of gout attacks.
3. Cancer. The Mayo Clinic states that vitamin C helps lower the risks of breast cancer, colon cancer and lung cancer. It also shares that taking supplements doesn’t give you the protection. You need to take the vitamin C in through food.
4. Immune system. Vitamin C has long been known to help boost the immune system, but WebMD shares that those who have a weakened immune system due to stress may get an even bigger benefit. The vitamin C helps restore the depleted system.
5. Eyes. The chances of developing cataracts and age-related macular degeneration are greatly reduced by the intake of vitamin C combined with other key vitamins and minerals, according to the Mayo Clinic.
6. Blood pressure. Healthline states that people with high levels of vitamin C in their blood have lower blood pressure.
7. Colds. Although vitamin C won’t cure or prevent the common cold, the Mayo Clinic does say that taking the vitamin helps shorten the length of the cold and the severity of its symptoms.
8. Chronic disease. If you suffer from a chronic disease, Healthline says that you may be able to minimize the symptoms through vitamin C. Because the vitamin boosts your immune system, the problems should be lessened.
9. Skin. Who doesn’t want to look younger? WebMD shares that vitamin C helps build collagen, causing the appearance of wrinkles to be reduced, skin to not be as dry and the overall appearance of aging to be reduced.
Knowing this vitamin’s benefits should have you reaching for a glass of orange juice or some strawberries.