This healthy 16-year-old died without warning on the beach. The cause can be found in every supermarket.

bez-imeni-1

In the summer of 2014, Lanna Hamann travelled to Mexico for a vacation with friends and their parents. No one would have believed that their holiday would have unfolded as it did.

1

One day as she lay on the beach, Lanna suffered a sudden heart attack. All attempts at resuscitation and medical help were in vain. She died that evening.

At first her death was a total mystery. Lanna was a healthy, happy girl: an athlete who loved to be active. She was a good softball player and had no health problems. There was nothing to indicate that she would die in this way.

2

After she had processed the news herself to some degree, Lanna’s mother Kris went public with some shocking information: on the day of her death, Lanna had not drunk any water. Instead, shortly before her fatal cardiac arrest, she had drunk a Red Bull energy drink.

Heart specialist Jack Wolfson confirmed Kris’s hunch. Lanna had regularly consumed energy drinks. She was literally addicted to them.

bez-imeni-1Too much caffeine and sugar, the primary ingredients in the popular drinks, can be dangerous in high concentrations, even for super-healthy people such as Lanna. «There is medical evidence that these things do harm; they can cause changes in the heart rhythm, and impact blood pressure,» Wolfson said.

13239091_1055862084480071_5720050361029370473_n
Kris says that her daughter’s could happen to anyone. She hopes that her story can help prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Hopefully Lanna’s untimely death serve as a warning to others not to overdo it with caffeine and other stimulants.

Source